IAPETUS is a Small or Medium-Scale Focused Research project co-funded by the 7th Framework Programme of the European Community. More information on European Community research programmes can be found on the web site
- Project Acronym: IAPETUS
- Project full title: Innovative Repair of Aerospace Structures with Curing Optimization and Life Cycle Monitoring Abilities
- Grant Agreement Number: ACP8-GA-2009-234333
- Total cost: 3 531 391 €
- EU Contribution: 2 339 595 €
- Starting date: 01/06/2009
- Ending date: 30/05/2012
- Duration: 36 months
IAPETUS aims at developing novel repair technologies and hybrid materials (composites and adhesives) that will revolutionize aircraft repair processes (mainly, the hot bond field repair) by:
- Introducing an innovative curing methodology (either via direct resistance heating or by induction heating) of the patch/adhesive system, with the benefits of homogenous heating and curing and the minimization of the developed thermal stresses. In addition the introduction of an on line curing monitoring system will allow for a precise control of curing concluded to enhanced quality of the resulted repair.
- Providing direct inspection of the bonding/repair integrity and continuous health monitoring of the repaired site in service.
- Offering increased mechanical and bonding performance in the repair itself.
This will be performed via the incorporation of carbon nanotubes (CNT) both in the composite matrix of the repair patch as well as in the adhesive.